My daughter’s favorite veggie (well, second favorite if we count tomatoes) is zucchini. During the summer months, we grill up zucchini and summer squash regularly, and she devours it like she’s never getting another meal. So it has become a standard ingredient around our house, and I love finding new, creative ways to use it. This yummy new entry was sent to me by (again) my friend Kim. She is keeping me hooked up with awesome stuff to try out – Hope you all are enjoying her ideas as well! This one is a veggie only recipe, so it’s a great one to pull out when you have either chicken breasts or a piece of fish thawed out and are trying to decide what to have with it.
1-1/2 cups zucchini or yellow squash
1-1/2 tsp light butter
1/8 tsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Swiss cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375. Thinly slice zucchini or squash lengthwise, forming wide, flat strips. Cut strips in half width-wise and set aside.
2. Lay a large piece of heavy-duty tin foil on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick baking spray. Place squash in the center of the foil. Top with butter. Sprinkle oregano, salt and pepper. Top with garlic.
3. Place another large piece of foil over the squash. Fold together and seal all four edges of the two foil pieces, forming a well-sealed packet.
4. Bake in oven until veggies are soft and tender, about 20 minutes.
5. Place cheese wedge in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir until smooth, add to veggies, and toss to coat. If you like, season with additional salt and pepper.
3 Vegetable servings
1 healthy fat
About 1 condiment, depending on how much salt and pepper you use.