One more cabbage recipe, just for fun – since St. Patrick’s Day is tomorrow. This is another one that my friend Kim provided, and it’s just another fun way to use cabbage and to mix up your Lean & Green meal. I love finding soup recipes that work on my plan, especially during this blustery, rainy winter/spring months when I am wanting some warm comfort food. This one fits that bill!
12 oz beef broth (1 can)
1-1/2 lbs lean ground beef, 96% lean (or, at our house, ground elk)
3 cups green cabbage, chopped
7 tbsp white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 cups water
2 cups tomatoes (28-32 oz), chopped, with juice
2 dashes hot sauce, optional (if you’re not big on hot sauce, you could add a couple pinches of a Mrs Dash type seasoning for some extra flavor – do not do both, though, as this will put you over on your condiments for the day)
1. In a large pan, brown beef, remove to plate, cover.
2. Add chopped onion, celery and pepper, saute on medium heat for 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
3. Add garlic and any dried spices (if you are omitting the hot sauce), stir for 30-60 seconds.
4. Pour in broth and gently loosen bits from bottom of pan.
5. Add tomatoes, browned beef and cabbage.
6. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; turn down to low.
7. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
8. Season to taste with hot sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Makes 4 full lean and green servings, each serving consists of: